Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Day One: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - Telluride to Last Dollar Hut

Total Mileage - 24.1 miles
Starting Elevation - 8,750'
Ending Elevation - 10,980'
Elevation Change - 4,092'

https://www.strava.com/activities/712076687

Telluride Airport in the distance
I will be referring to Sean Seley's Strava details mileage and elevation change details for the San Juan Hut Trip. I also had a Garmin 235 with me, but I kept turning it off by accident on the first few days. Sean went the same route as me the entire trip, so whatever he rode/walked, I went the same way although I was slower most of the time.

Heading to brunch in downtown Telluride
First time lift ride for the Seven Sola
After dropping off the rental car at Telluride Airport and assembling our bikes at Ship It Copy It in Telluride, we took the Telluride gondola lift to start our trip. We took the Prospector Trail which was a fun and flowy singletrack. I stopped for a mountain biker who was heading toward me on the trail, and she was accompanied by two dogs. The interesting thing was that one of the dogs was a dachsund who kept pace very well even with its short legs.





After the singletrack, we had a long climb to the first hut on Last Dollar Road. Mark was the first one up to the hut. The 9,000 to 11,000 foot climb didn't seem to affect him that badly, but Sean and I started walking our bikes at two miles per hour toward the end. There was just no energy left in me to keep pedaling. Sean sat down a few times since he was bonking hard due to the altitude. We both made it to the hut right before dark though.
Is this the first time I've been ahead of Sean on a climb?





When we made it to the hut, we saw we only had two additional hut mates, Stuart and Mike, so between Mark, Sean, and I, we could spread out well for a hut for eight people. It was so quiet and dark that night. I woke up a few times, but I was fine. I'm happy the rest of the riding should be much easier.

3 comments:

  1. Charles, great write up, thank you so much for all the details. We are doing this trip next June.

    Did you fly into Colorado? Which airport? We are thinking we will fly into Denver.

    How did you get from Moab to Telluride? I can't seem to find any details on shuttles or rates.

    We are undecided about how to get the bikes out there and the info in your blog is very helpful.

    MR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We flew into Grand Junction and drove a one-way car rental to Telluride Airport. From Moab, we drove another one-way car rental back to Grand Junction for our flight out. We found this to be a lot less expensive than shuttles. I think we may have been fortunate to obtain a one-way rental from Grand Junction to Telluride Airport because the Telluride Film Festival had just ended.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for quick reply. This seems like a great plan, I did not think of a one-way rental.

      Delete