Thursday, September 8, 2016

Day Three: Thursday, September 8, 2016 - Spring Creek Hut to Columbine Hut

Total Mileage - 40.2 miles
Starting Elevation - 9,200'
Ending Elevation - 9,205'
Elevation Change - 2,632'

https://www.strava.com/activities/712076787

Nose is dry and full of dried snot from the dry air. Lips are a little dry too. Fortunately, the air isn't too cold. I haven't had any use for the knee warmers or toe covers that I've brought. I forgot I have an external battery charger with a solar cell. The solar cell may have been able to pick up some extra power on the long rides in the open. Since I'm only charging my Garmin 235 watch and Xiaomi Yi action camera, I don't need that much power every day.

The weather has been perfect so far with mild temperatures and no precipitation. I climb well versus the other people in the group when the road is smooth, but rutted roads give full suspension bikes the advantage.

Stuffing my backpack with my clothes and covering it with my Hind Drylete long sleeve top makes for an adequate pillow. Rode some technical single track today, and once again was rewarded with great views and perfect weather. Sean filtered a bottle of water for me at Columbine Springs, but when I rode back to the entrance of the park I saw two hunters, Jan and Paul, handing out bottled water to the rest of the group. They had just bagged a male elk with a compound bow and brought it back to their camp. We appreciated their generosity with the bottled water they gave to us.

A short while later, Mark and Stuart took the Parallel Trail single track option while Mark, Sean, and I rode to the next hut via fire road.

Things I would like to see in the huts: stout and yogurt.

I've ridden the Specialized shorts for three days in a row now, and they've held up really well. The only thing I've been doing is adding a bit of Chamois Butt'r at the beginning of the day, and turning them inside out for some UV disinfection at the end of the day. I wonder if I should ride all seven days in them... Maybe I should use the Stanford Voler shorts tomorrow and give the Specialized shorts a rest

No comments:

Post a Comment